prototype and First playable


Hello 👋

For week 7 and 8 I was stuck on starting my game because I found it really difficult to create the scene I wanted, which was creating and editing a terrain. It was easy enough to create a simple terrain but after days of trying  I realized what I wanted required skills outside my capability, I wanted to create infinite terrain with grassy environment and a path for my player to run. Most of the resources I found focused on creating the terrain environment  and not a generating terrain which was specifically what I was looking for. Creating a generating terrain involved C# script and methods which were much more complex to what I learned In labs and I did not understand what so ever so I decided to come up with other alternatives. 

I spent a lot of time on this and learned a lot about creating a generating terrain but unfortunately time was running out for me and had to move on but it's definitely something I will continue working on my own time as I feel like I will be able do it with time if I give it another shot.  

Resources I used to try and create the terrain

GENERATING TERRAIN in Unity - Procedural Generation Tutorial
Making an Infinite Terrain with Unity 5
Unity 3D Procedural Terrain Generation




Screenshot of my game 


On Friday the 20th  I switched the idea of creating a terrain to creating the path above. This is a temporary path in my game to get everything working for now but when I make a further progress I want to swap it with path tiles. That's once I am ready to drop in the obstacles for my game. 

This scene I chose to create might not be my first choice but I feel like it suits my game because normally bridges and paths like mine are used for endless runner games and I also mentioned I wanted a straight path the player to run so it's still a win.

At the moment my player is able to run forward and move left and right and also the camera is able to follow the player. 

For next week I want the player to be able to jump and create a generating infinite tiles with obstacles in the scene if possible. 

I spent more than 15 hours on the project and each time I thought I had it things were coming back to square one and I had to start an empty new project but after I stopped working with terrains I found  it easier to work on my project as I was I was doing things I was very familiar with. 

I found the below tutorial easy to follow but the tutorial is for an android game and It was not much of a help so I had to go back to the Unity labs we done.  

all in all I feel like I am in a good place right now and should be able to create the rest of the game. 

Tutorials and Assets 

Unity 3D Endless Runner Game

Basic Motions FREE Pack

-Abdi



   





























Comments

  1. Hey Abdi

    Great blog entry, i see that you found it difficult to start creating you game, i also found it extremely difficult to, its good to know your limitations, good to see you work through your problem with the terrain and were able to adapt you idea

    wishing you luck with the rest of your project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abdi, really liked the game update, it seems to be going well. I have to agree that starting the game is definitely the hardest part but once you get past that barrier, it should only get easier from there on. I hope you manage to sort out your problems and get your game all working. Best of luck finishing it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment